I’ve spent the last several weeks picking up something I started back in 2015. Way back then, in the airport departing SpringOne, I started working on the third mediatype for Spring HATEOAS. There were already two: the original one based on pure Jackson and HAL. This was Collection+JSON by Mike Amundsen. As a traveling consultant,…
Last week in The Power of REST – Part 2, I talked about how investing effort in backward compatibility and having flexible settings, it’s possible to avoid a lot of “API versioning”, something Roy Fielding has decried. In this article, we’ll look more closely at the depth and power of hypermedia. How does the web…
Last week, in The Power of REST – Part 1, I challenged someone’s proposal that their client-side query language could supplant the power of REST. It seemed to attack strawman arguments about REST. In this article, I wanted to delve a little more into what REST does and why it does it. Basis of REST…
I was kind of shocked when I saw Yet Another Posted Solution to REST. I sighed and commented, and drew the ire of many. So I figured this might be a good time to gather some thoughts on REST. Love how GraphQL “fixes” the REST by introducing tight coupling and brittleness. And then they duck…
In the past couple of weeks, things have really gotten hopping on the Nashville Java community’s #java slack channel. A recent topic topic of interest is how do we take something like REST, which talks about clean URIs and stateless services, and stir in this crazy OAuth stuff? I threw in my own $0.02 given…
I keep running into ideas, thoughts, and decisions swirling around REST. So many things keep popping up that make me want to scream, “Just read the history, and you’ll understand it!!!” So I thought I might pull out the good ole Wayback Machine to an early part of my career and discuss a little bit…
Order your copy of Learning Spring Boot now!
The Power of REST
Do you like reading?
Order Your Copy Now!
Building Your Platform
Videos of my presentations
- Live Coding w/ Spring Data @ SpringOne Platform 2016
- Spinnaker: Land of a 100 Builds @ SpringOne Platform 2016
- Spring Data REST @ SpringOne 2015
- Spring Data REST @ DevNexus 2015
- Debug and Maintain Your Spring Boot App – 7/9/2015
- Cloud Foundry After Dark – 2/15/2015
- Screencast: REST app built in five minutes or less – 11/20/2014
- Spring Data REST – Data Meets Hypermedia – 2014
- Building Your App Mgmt Tools w/ Spring Boot – 2014
- Grails in the Real World™ – 2013
- Darklight cover reveal! February 20, 2018
- Why statics are no longer evil February 9, 2018
- Building a recording studio without breaking the bank January 30, 2018
- A tale of two mediatypes January 18, 2018
- How TDD is wrong November 14, 2017
Sign up for Greg’s email list!